Tuesday 12 August 2014

Robin Williams - My Personal views








It is with a sad heart that I sit down to write this. Robin Williams,  one of the greatest,  if not the greatest comedian of our time,  passed away yesterday from apparent suicide.  It was one of the saddest stories for me this year mainly because I have a personal connection with Mr. Williams, even though I have never met him.


 "No matter what people tell you, words and ideas can change the world!" - Robin Williams

The reason for the personal connection is really simple to explain, but difficult to comprehend: I grew up on Robin Williams' comedy. He was the first comedian that made an impression on me in my childhood and the memories of his acting genius I hold most dear in my heart.  To me he was the benchmark for every other comedian I have ever listened to or watched. More than that: he defined comedy for me.  In a world filled with slapstick comedies and mediocre rehashes of old jokes, Mr. Williams' energetic, fast-on-the-trigger, but highly intelligent jokes and comedic acting was refreshing.  It didn't matter to me that he sometimes rehashed some of his old jokes during his comedy routines, because they were always entertaining to listen to. His stand-ups that contained hot-button topics such as the Iraq War or former President Bill Clinton's removal from office as President of the United States made serious and truthful accusations at those responsible or involved, while still remaining comedic.



As I said earlier, I grew up on Robin Williams' comedy. The first memory I have of Robin Williams was in Good Morning Vietnam,  where he laid into Lt. Steven Hauk, played by Bruno Kirby, for his excessive use of acronyms. I also still remember watching Aladdin, the Disney adaptation, when it was in the theaters. We were late for the movie and came in just as the caravan merchant threw the dust from the lamp into the air and the screen moved to show the stars. Robin Williams' voice acting as the genie almost made the entire film. The jokes were spot on and delivered with such gusto it brought me to teary giggles. To this day the movie is one of my favorites from Disney.




"You treat a disease you win, you lose.  You treat a person, I guarantee you, you'll win, no matter the outcome." - Patch Adams, played by Robin Williams

Later in life I would watch movies such as Dead Poet's Society, Patch Adams and Good Will Hunting with their interesting and important social messages. Mr. Williams proved himself a true actor by showing not just his comedic side but also how serious he could be in his roles. Of course there were still great comedies, especially from Mr. Williams' stand-up routines, that kept the laughs going, but it's always the more serious roles that truly intrigued me and made me think about life in general.

Ultimately it will be what he defined for me that will stay with me: that comedy had to be truthful, never excessive; that those who make the joke must never compromise on their opinion of something, especially if there is truth in it, and finally that one must never compromise one's values for the sake of a good laugh.

And that I will take to my grave. Thank you Mr. Robin Williams. I salute thee. May you bring tears of joy and laughter to Jesus and the angels as you did to us all.

"
Most of all, I want to thank my father, up there, the man who when I said I wanted to be an actor, he said, 'Wonderful. Just have a back-up profession like welding'." - Robin Williams

Images copyright their respective owners.  All images used without permission


 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment