Saturday 30 November 2013

So, why the chatter?

Last week I wrote an article on E-Tolls and mentioned it as part of the ANC's enrichment scheme.  I felt like I need to qualify why I would pick E-Tolls as the example as proof of the ANC's enrichment at the expense of the country.

other than all the valid reasons mentioned in my post, the real reason is because I live in Gauteng, and because the government has announced that they will switch on the system on the 3rd of December.  So yes, it affects me.


Now, there is some hope that this will not happen as one of the opposition parties will be placing a last-minute court interdict against the rolling out of E-Tolls.  Whether they will succeed will all depend on their arguments, and considering that E-Tolls have been delayed like this twice in the past already, the arguments will have to be pretty good as the courts may decide it's time to rather let the system run and then see what happens.

However, most Jo'burgers, excluding of course those that enjoy getting plowed by the government or those too Liberal to do anything (read "filled with apathy"), are planning to salute the government over this in the best way possible: civil disobedience.

Already most leaders of organizations opposed to the e-tolls have come out and said they are willing to be arrested for it.  They are not alone, as most commentators in articles about e-tolls have indicated they will do the same.

Whether most of them will keep to their word is another matter, but myself, living in Jo'burg for all my life, will  not be paying e-tolls, as I've already paid for those roads.

However, if, and when, those gantries do come online on the 3rd, I'll not be in Jo'burg at the time.  I'll be taking leave for the week, and coming back only on the 6th, but when I come back I will be hitting some of those gantries, and I can tell you now I'm not sticking my hand in my pocket to withdraw money from it so that money can be handed over for tolls.  No sir.  A few posts from now I might actually be posting from prison.  But I guess that is the price to pay if we want our government to stop stealing from us.

Well, I'm off for tonight.  I'm still thinking of my next topic, which will hopefully be more interesting.  Until then I hope, dear reader, that you have a good weekend and that you enjoy the time given to you.

Cheers.

No comments:

Post a Comment